Friday, September 15, 2006

Thanks!

I really appreciate eveyones comments. I wrote everything in the heat of the moment. I needed to get it out. I also wanted to be clear that I have not been offended by anyone else except for the people I have talked about. I really do enjoy taking pictures. I don't mind snaping a couple shots at a wedding or taking pictures of family members. I just don't lik efeeling used, thats all. Beside that fact that invested alot of time into taking & editing those pictures I am more offend that my friend used someone else. I guess what it comes down to & how I took it was that my pictures were not good enough. I did something wrong. But what I failed to realize (my good friend Lisa pointed this out) that possibly she didn't like my style. I take picture of baby's naked. That is what I do. Not everyone likes that and I am going to have to be ok with that. I have got to stop investing so much in what other people think. I value my self worth in what others think of me, and say to me. I need to be ok with what I do. I have tons of clients that hire me to take pictures of their baby naked. It is ok if someone doesn't like me, doesn't like my style. I dont like everyone, I dont like everyone's style but as long as I have respect for them I can feel good about myself.

I have thought alot about my business these last few days. I felt like I needed to rebalance things. I see mistakes and flaws. I decieded that there will be times that I will want to do free sessions probably for a gifts, but I will leave it as an offer and only an offer. They can call and book like regular clients. Also decieded to specify what kind of discount I will give friends and family. I feel like 20% off the print order is fair. I also decieded that when I do portfolio builing sessions that I will not charge a session fee but prints will be 30% off. I will still be happy to do trade. Hopefully this protects my fragile emotions, and makes it clear and fair for everyone.

Anyway, if you have gotten this far thanks. It really helps to have friends back me up and to be there for support. That is not something my hubby does well. If fact he made me feel worst! Thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're right. If you just have it set up in advance (the exact discount), then you don't have to himhaw about it and you have an answer. Tyler has already started talking about how to do this when he becomes a dentist. Everyone wants a deal and so many feel entitled to a deal if they know you. This way when they ask you just have a "special" for friends and then they're getting their entitlement.

Plain Jame said...

Oh Kellie, you are learning very quick. It's hard to go through this all now, but it's almost better to now so that you have boundaries and rules set for the whole rest of your career, so you'll be hurt and burned much less.
No one is perfect, and it's not always easy to do good much less perfect business, but you are learning things so you can run a much smoother business in the future.
Focus on producing your personal best work. Things will just get better and better!