Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Well it is the last time,

The last time I do a free photo session for a friend or for family. I have been burned too many times. I can't keep doing this to myself, yes I do it to myself. Whenever I volunteer to do a free shoot I get burned.
The first time it happened almost a year ago with a family member. My whole family drove up north to take pictures and then they were never used. I never got a thank you, never heard anything untill I got an announcement in the mail without any of my pictures on it. To top it off they were picture with the exact same poses I had used! Slap in the face. Quite honestly the relationship has never been the same. I dont like to be one to hold grudges, I really don't but I feel I am very loyal to my friends I expect that in return. Too much to ask? I don't know.
In between I have had other situations come up. I have been asked to take pictures here and there for family and friends and hadnot minded doing so. But then when they want to order or want a real shoot with me they act all offended that I actually charge. Seriously, let me just take HOURS away from my life, my kids, my family to put you first. This job takes time, it really does. I dont just take 5 mins to take the picture and that is it. I spend hours editing. I expect something...even if it is just a thank you.
This time it is with a friend, this time I took the 12 hour drive by myself with my kids to do FREE pictures. Same situation, never got a thank you and this time never got the announcement. I have been friends with this person for years. I even talked to her about the last time I got burned, how hurt I was. And now she does the exact same thing.
I am so pissed right now. What makes me sooo mad is that I volunteered, I VOLUNTEERED. Am I stupid? 12 hours plus the 4hrs to edit them, plus we were moving ( shoul be happy I got out of moving the heavy stuff), plus I canceled other clients to go on the trip. How can people be so inconsiderate? I wonder if I have done the same. If I have It makes me sad.
So from now on to protect myself, I will not volunteer for free shoots. I won't do it. You want pictures, you call book and pay. Of course everything stays the same with friends rates. I don't charge friends full price, never have but I can't get burned again. I dont like the feelings I feel after. I dont want to have to hold a grudge and I dont want to waist my time. If that sounds greedy or selfish or rude then so be it. Sometimes you have to be that way and really I dont have the time to be used.

9 comments:

Meegan said...

I'll pay for you to take our pictures! PROMISE! :)
I know exactly how you feel. There are a few friends that I won't charge, because they are usually up to try all the crazy things that I'm dying to do, whether they turn out or not. . . .But I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

If anything you should charge more!! You do an amazing job!!

Angela said...

I'm sorry you feel sad. It wasn't very nice of your friend. Hope you feel better soon. I am always willing to pay for anything you do for me. I love the pictures you have taken of my family. They are the best I have ever had. I can't wait to get back to pre-baby weight and get some more done!!! But until then, the kids always look cute in pics!

Ren said...

I'm sorry this happened to you and that you're feeling this way. I agree... charge them

Anonymous said...

Kellie-

I love what you did for us...you are so talented. And yes, I need to order also...and am happy to pay for your hard work with my kids. Sorry you got burned, I've been there. I hope you know how much we appreciated your time and talents!

-Amy

stace said...

i hear ya...it is tough to charge friends and such, and people can be so lame and thoughtless. Sorry this happened.

I have been trying to figure how to charge for years...i am too nice in the end and do way too much for free!

Anonymous said...

I'm not that i'm a profesh or anything (just getting started), I totally think it is smart for you to start charging. I do hair and trust me, I know what it's like to be taken advantage of......NOT FUN! It's smart to give a family/friend discount though so they still feel "special" :D

Holly said...

Oh stink! I hate things like this. It's hard when your business is a "service", instead of an actual product. Maybe on our websites, we should keep a running tally of everything we've spent on photography books, lenses, accessories, CD's, flashs, memory cards, photoshop actions, holiday card templates, etc, etc. - just so they know what we've invested!!! Repeat after me - NO MORE FREEBIES!!!

Tori said...

I have to agree...You are ttttoooo good to be doing this for free..You are have to say "you are what you worth"...If you charge nothing, then you feel you arent worthy..and you are! My husband always says..."you cant always do things for free..then ppl expect only free...and dont take you seriously". You are to good!!!!! You'll bounce back..Hang in there.